Are you 16 years of age or older and have your CANSail level 4? You could become a sailing coach and get paid spending your summers on the water teaching novices to sail. There is now a local Sail Canada certified Learning Facilitator (LF).
Justin Spillman, an NYC member, has a passion for sailing and is always open to answer questions about becoming a coach. Candidates in Cape Breton no longer have to travel to Halifax to pursue their coaching credentials.
Justin can be reached at email@example.com. Please ensure to title your email with your topic. Watch this tab, our events calendar, or NYC Facebook for future courses. Courses will also be posted on the SailNS website.
Originally from Australia and now calling Cape Breton home Justin has been sailing from a young age. He raced at a national level for many years in dinghies before progressing to yacht racing. In yachts he competed in multiple Transpac Yacht races across the Pacific as well as sailed around North America with his wife Loree D’Orsay in their yacht ‘Just Dreamin’.
Cape Breton Sailing Instructor Coaching Course Dates
Sail Canada Fundamentals Course – Sat 1st, Sun 2nd & Sat 8th May 2021 – 9am-5pm ($280)
Coach Boat Safety – Sun 16th May 2021 – 9am to 5pm ($120)
CanSail 1&2 Instructor – Sat 15th, Sat 22nd & Sun 23rd May 2021 – 9am-5pm ($240). There is additional theory based video chat sessions involved as well.
CanSail 3&4 Instructor – Sat 29th May & Sun 30th May 2021 – 9am-5pm ($240). There is additional theory based video chat sessions involved as well.
Make up days if required for all courses – Sat 5th & Sun 6th June 2021 – 9am-5pm
How to Register
Register for the course by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information below in your email.
- Subject line of email “Sail Canada Course 2021 – (your name)”
- Your full name, Age and your current CanSail Level
- Your preferred email address for correspondence (students email address not the parents)
- Attach your sport/sailing/coaching resume to the email
- The Courses you wish to attend.
- Your CanSail number (go to https://members.sailing.ca/index.php or if you do not have one yet go to https://members.sailing.ca/index.php?action=member.registration
- Your Recreational Boat License Number (many places to get this online one is https://www.cps-ecp.ca/pcoc-boating-license/pcoc-get-license/)
Where: Northern Yacht Club, Junior Sailing Building, Upstairs, 27 Seaview Dr, North Sydney, NS, B2A 3N5
Who: As a student be 2 CanSail levels above the instructor level you are going for, have a recreational boat licences, be 16 years of age or older by June 1st this year.
- Your professionalism (eg. dress appropriately, arrive early, be well rested)
- Athletic footwear (enclosed shoes)
- Warm clothes some lessons will be outside, extra change of clothes and towel
- Food and drink (eg. Morning tea, Lunch, Afternoon tea, water bottle)
- Pens, paper/notebook, optional (laptop, cellphone, tablet)
- Sailing clothes appropriate for cold conditions incl. life jacket